We’re living in a world that’s filled with content. Blogs, videos, social media posts, whitepapers and more are all competing for the attention of your customers and to stand out above the noise it’s vital you have a way to create content that is strategic and engaging.
Leveraging tools that provide data for fuelling your content ideas can give you a competitive advantage and that’s where Google Trends comes in. Read on to find out how to use Google Trends to develop a content strategy that delights and educates your audience.
What is Google Trends?
A robust data-gathering tool, Google Trends shows insights into the amount of Google searches for specific topics and search terms.
Offering great SEO and content marketing benefits, Google Trends can be used for keyword research, discovering themes in your industry and breaking news stories that are being driven by keyword search volume.
Other key features of the tool include:
- Seeing the top daily searches by country
- Examining the search history for specific people, places and objects within a certain month
7 Google Trends Techniques for Better Content Marketing
1. Find relevant topics in your sector
A big content marketing challenge is repeatedly coming up with ideas that are at the forefront of your industry. With Google Trends, you have the power to research trending stories and search terms and use them for inspiration.
For example, you may need to come up with four new blogs on digital marketing for the month. In Google Trends, you’ll be able to see related queries to the topic and refine your blogging strategy.
2. Up your video content game
Blog content isn’t the only thing you can optimise for with Google Trends. The tool lets you filter search results based on:
- News search
- Web search
- Image search
- YouTube search and video content
Focusing on the YouTube search option will give you insight into the types of videos that are trending on the world’s second largest search engine. Use that data to create of the moment videos that drive engagement and higher conversions.
3. Get better at SEO
Google Trends also provides many opportunities for improving your approach to SEO and using the data to optimise website content. Here are some of the SEO capabilities of the tool:
- Find related keywords: Google Trends recommends keywords that are growing in popularity. This lets you identify stronger keywords for optimising your content for search engines.
- Harness the advanced search filters: By searching data in filters like ‘news search’ and ‘image search’ you’ll have access to the results across different segments of your potential market.
- Look at local keyword trends: Use Google Trends to research keywords at your local level or see different regions that require your products and services. This will help you create content that is targeted at a certain area and build your reputation as a thought leader.
- Find what keywords you don’t want to use: Google Trends is also useful for discovering the keywords that it’s best to avoid. For example, you may see a trend in generic keywords such as ‘cloud computing’ and decide to steer clear because these types of keywords won’t make a difference to your content.
4. Supercharge your social media efforts
Social media is another element of your content marketing strategy that can be complemented with Google Trends. There are a couple of ways in which it helps.
Firstly, the tool is great for planning social media campaigns. Marketers can use Google Trends to understand what people are talking about and where they are, ultimately informing your social media content.
Secondly, Google Trends comes in handy for developing specific hashtags. This can be done by finding keywords that are popular in a location or demographic that you want to target and then incorporating them into social posts as hashtags.
5. Enhance your Google Shopping ads
Google Shopping ads are a valuable type of content for promoting your best products, so it makes sense to take advantage of Google Trends’ Google Shopping feature.
By looking at the relevant data you can determine the best month to promote your ads and provide a boost to your eCommerce strategy.
6. Merge your content calendar with Google Trends
As the heart of a content strategy, a content calendar should contain all the topics and themes you plan to write about across the year. Combining it with data from Google Trends is a sure-fire way to optimise your overall strategy.
This could work by you analysing monthly trends via Google Trends in advance and then putting the content ideas into the calendar. You can also research seasonal search queries and plan ahead for events and holidays like Black Friday and Christmas.
7. Enhance your overall brand efforts
Another important point is that Google Trends provides insight into how you are perceived against competitors. You can do this by looking at the brands which are the most searched for in your sector.
Armed with this knowledge, you’ll be able to improve your decision-making and create content that puts you in the same conversation as competitors. This also has the knock-on effect of improving your brand messaging and creating a stronger business.
Ready to Boost your Content Marketing Strategy with Google Trends?
With dynamic search filters and real-time data analysis, there’s a lot to appreciate about Google Trends. Bringing the tool into your content marketing is sure to make a difference and help to build stronger customer engagement.